What is your favorite season of the year?

Monday, November 8, 2010

Incidents In The Life Of A Slave Girl- Part 3


One thing that that I noticed from reading Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl is that slavery was not always about the relationship in between whites and blacks. It also had a lot to do with how blacks, enslaved and freed, were among themselves. Linda is given a rare opportunity to escape, but she decides to let another slave make use of the opportunity. When speaking of the chance to escape, Linda says, “I told him it need not be thrown away; that I had a friend concealed near by, who would be glad enough to take the place that had been provided for me” (155).  It is really reassuring to know that regardless of the inhumane acts surrounding them, most blacks continued to be helpful and protective of one another. Sadly, some of them allowed slavery to influence them in a negative way. Linda says, “Uncle Phillip was sent for, and he agreed with his mother in thinking that Jenny would inform Dr. Flint in less than twenty-four hours” (157). They had to rush Linda out of the area because another slave, who has probably gone through some of the same things as Linda, would expose her secret. If anything, the slaves should be able to trust themselves more than anyone else, but it looks like this was not always the case. I am happy that Linda’s plan is working out the way she wanted it to work out. Although she has to stay in hiding and cannot see her children, they are basically free because Dr. Flint unknowingly sold them to their father. Dr. Flint tells the speculator, “I have been reflecting upon your proposition, and I have concluded to let you have the three negroes if you will say nineteen hundred dollars” (108). Things are leaning in her favor. Hopefully, it will continue like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment